I recently ordered a lot of delicious bacon from Zaycon. Since it comes in bulk I’ve been working on all kinds of ways to cook it! With St. Patrick’s day coming I thought I would work on a potato soup. The only problem is my kids normally hate potato soup. So I’ve made it into more of a chowder with bacon and corn. This Chowder is fantastic because you spend a few minutes in the morning preparing it and then it cooks all day in the crock pot. I love this kind of recipe for busy days when I know I won’t have time to make dinner later!
1/2 pound cooked bacon, broken into pieces
2 1/2 pounds red potatoes ( I used 6 potatoes), just wash and chop
2 cans sweet corn
1/2 yellow onion, super finely chopped
1 whole bulb of garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp season salt
32 oz chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups heavy cream, half and half, or milk with cornstarch ( see bonus tip)
1/4 tsp cajun seasoning
1/4 tsp nature’s seasoning ( or you can use salt and pepper to taste)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Add Chicken broth, season salt, canned corn, cajun seasoning, and nature’s seasoning to the crock pot.
2. Cook the bacon and add it to the crock pot. Reserve 2 Tbsp of bacon fat.
3. Wash and chop the potatoes into small cubes then add to the crock pot.
4. Chop the onion and garlic. Saute in the bacon fat until translucent and fragrant. Add to crock pot.
5. Cook for 6 hours.
6. Now use a potato masher to mash some of the soup to create a creamy consistancy.
7. Add the heavy cream and cook for another 15 minutes!
8. Serve hot!