I LOVE pie! But the problem is that I don’t always want
a whole pie and not everyone in my family likes the same pie. It used to be that I would just make pie at Christmas or Thanksgiving and just the one that most every liked best. But then I started cooking more with my muffin tins and I had the idea to make little pies in the muffin tins!
This has been super for fun for several reasons!
1. Portion control! Lets face it when there is something super yummy in front of us it’s hard not to eat all of it! But having tiny pies makes it easier to get your sweet fix without eating a whole 9 inch pie!
2. I can make more than one kind of pie at once! This is one of my favorite things about making pies in the muffin tins! I can make apple, blueberry, strawberry, pumpkin, peach, or pecan all at once or in any combination so we all can have what we want!
3. My little pies have replaced cookies at my house! It used to be that is someone I knew was sick or having a hard day I might take over some cookies, but now I take my little pies all the way because it is a fun little treat that most of us only get at the holidays!
Mini Apples Pies
2 1/2 cups flour
2 sticks cold butter cut into 1 Tbsp pieces
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
6 Tbsp cold water
3 Apples, peeled and chopped into small pieces
6 Tbsp flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 Tbsp butter, cold and cut into 12 portions
4 Tbsp white sugar
4 Tbsp brown sugar
6 Tbsp flour
6 Tbsp melted butter
2 tsp cinnamon
1. First lets make the crust:
2. Using a mixer pour in flour, salt, and sugar.
3. Attach the flat mixer attachment if you are suing a kitchen-aid, and turn on to a slow speed.
4. Slowly add the cold butter pie Tbsp at a time waiting about 30 seconds in between each piece.
5. Once all the butter has been added slowly add the cold water.
6. Once a good dough has formed turn off the mixer. Remove the dough from the bowl and work it a bit on a counter to form a ball. At this point if you are planning to use it later you can refrigerate it or if you are going to use soon you can roll out the dough and using a cup or circular cookie cutter cut out circular shapes for the pie crust.
7. Now we make the pie filling!
8. First you want to peel and chop the apples. Chop them into small chunks because these are going to be small pies so you don’t want huge pieces of apple. Once you have chopped the apples put them in a bowl of cold water to prevent them from turning brown.
9. In a separate bowl combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
10. Add the apples to the flour mixture and mix well. After a few minutes you may notice it seems watery, that is normal because fruit has a lot of water naturally so just mix it up again before you start adding your pie filling into your crusts.
11. Now you will pour a bit of the pie filling into each of the little pie crusts. DO NOT OVER FILL! If you you do you will end up with an oooooooozy mess! You should still be able to see some crust higher than the apple pie filling.
12. At this point you will take the 12 portions of butter and put a small piece on top of each of the apple pies.
13. Now we make the streusel topping! Combine all the ingredients together! Then you will put a small portion on top of each pie until you have used all the topping.
14. Bake at 400 for 18 minutes!
15. Serve with cool whip, whip cream, or ice cream! Enjoy!